Since 2003, Sentis’ consultants have been helping major firms realise substantial, lasting improvement in their safety-related metrics, safety culture, and collective impact on overall business results.
Our service offerings are distinguished by our track record of results; the praise for the overall program experience by participants; and ability to create real cultural change.
The Journey to Safety Culture Maturity
Through studying the key factors that exemplify a strong positive safety culture, Sentis created a model of safety culture maturity that depicts the journey that organisations take as they progress their safety culture toward the goal of safety excellence. At the pinnacle, or most mature point of the journey, organisations are described as achieving a culture of ‘Safety Citizenship’.
What is Safety Citizenship?
A culture of Safety Citizenship is achieved when the company’s safety is a core part of everyone’s job and a shared responsibility, and when leaders and employees strive to improve and learn from collective mistakes. Employees engage in critical citizenship behaviours such as taking on additional safety duties, routinely raising up safety-related improvement ideas, and consistently looking out for the wellbeing of co-workers. Leaders are operating at a citizenship level when they demonstrate effective transactional and transformational leadership behaviours that drive effective safety performance.
Diagnosing Your Safety Culture Maturity
Considering the Sentis Safety Culture Maturity Model and the definitions at each stage, where is your company at on its journey to Safety Citizenship? In your business, who are the leaders who are propelling your safety culture forward? As multiple safety cultures can exist within the same organisation, which sites, departments, or crews seem to be operating at relatively higher or lower levels of maturity?
By diagnosing your current state of safety culture and embracing the vision of a culture of Safety Citizenship, you are one step closer to achieving that goal. Leveraging the Sentis Safety Culture Maturity Model and associated frameworks, Sentis partners with organisations to conduct diagnostic assessments of their safety culture. This diagnostic process utilises three of Sentis’ assessments: the Onsite Safety Evaluation, the Safety Climate Survey, and the Safety Leadership Assessment. By administering a combination of these tools and then conducting a rigorous analysis to triangulate the captured data, an organisation’s safety culture maturity is assessed, with specific strengths and opportunities within the areas of leadership, person, practices, and environment identified. Through this diagnostic process, specific and tangible recommendations are developed – actions that can drive the organisation closer to safety citizenship.
Beginning your journey
The results and recommendations gained from the diagnostic process will help you define the steps your organisation can take to begin your journey to safety culture maturity. Sentis can partner with you to build a roadmap of activities and deliver interventions in order to build a culture of safety citizenship within your organisation.
The Sentis Safety Citizenship approach includes:
- an evaluation of your organisation’s needs via Sentis’ research-based assessment tools
- a range of engaging, experiential training programs, including:
- our well known ZIP program which focuses on improving individual attitudes towards safety,
- our Safety Citizens program which focuses on building a culture of discretionary safety effort, beyond just compliance, as well as
- the opportunity to design a custom safety program to suit your organisation’s needs
- Our cutting edge knowledge platform Sentis Dojo offering the opportunity to build custom online learning capability, leveraging proven brain science and gamification techniques to enhance learning and embed training content.
- safety reporting and risk assessment instruments, including digital and web apps
- post-program training, coaching and development of internal champions to support implementation
- multimedia toolkits that help cement long-term change